7.7.10

JEROME ‘BIGFOOT’ BRAILEY THE FUNK LEGEND BEFORE YOUR EYES




BY ALFONSO CORONA AND ISA TRAVERSO-BURGER
He has seven gold and platinum records. He has worked with a myriad roster of talents includ- ing Herbie Hancock, Buddy Miles, Buckethead, Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, Pharaoh Sanders, James Blood Ulmer and Bill Laswell. In 1975 he joined George Clinton’s P-Funk, which includes the bands Parliament and Funkadelic as well as other fascinating projects, until 1979 when he formed his own band, Mutiny. Now, a proud member of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame since 1997, Mr. Bigfoot keeps the drums thump- ing but also wears the hat of Producer. His secret for his youth-look was not revealed during our interview but we think it has to do with his low consumption of alcohol or his unbelievable gift as a drummer. However he keeps it real, we just want to say, “thanks for the funk Mr. Brailey”. Read what he wants to ask everyone to do, you might agree.
Where are you from?
Richmond, Virginia. I’ve been in Miami for a month.
Anything feels uncomfortable?
Oh no, I feel great.
If you were hungry what would you eat?
Maybe waffles; I like Belgian Waffles, with turkey bacon, strawberries, OJ.
What would you like to be doing 10 years form now? Living in St. John; I’d like to just be there and come back on and off to do production work.
What was the first life changing anecdote that you recall? I was in high-school in Richmond and this group came to town, they were going to play in a club; so my friend and I, we went to the club and told the guy at the front door that we were the baddest cats in town and that we played with the band; I had my drum sticks, and he let us in. We jammed with the band and next thing you know we were in New York, doing a record. I was 17. That’s what got us started. This was around 68, 69.



It was pretty exciting. At 4 or 5 in the morning in New York, everything was alive; everything after midnight was closed in Virginia. Then, I was a kid living in Chicago, I can’t tell you the feeling when you’re young and you hear your stuff in the radio.
What were you doing a day like today when you were 12?
School, playing. We had our own clubhouse, probably playing baseball, or fishing, or at the junior high school marching band. At 15 I got my first kit, I played everything before I got my real kit. When I was 13, the Beatles came over, and JFK was assassinated. That’s when I knew I wanted to be in a band -when I saw the Beatles.
What amuses you the most?
When a group of guys gets together and crack up laughing. This guy Mario Medias, he is so funny; he worked for Bob Marley, The Stones, Emerson Lake and Palmer. We sit and talk, and everything we talk about he has a comical story, he is the funniest guy I’ve met in a long time. We call him The Big M.
What is the least amusing thing you have to do everyday?
Wait. (Laughs) wait for something. I don’t like waiting. They tease me every time, they say Miami is laid back, and I have to always wait.
What do you love?
My daughters, I have two. My grandson. My family; I’m tight with family.



What do you hate?
Cloudy days. I try not to hate a lot of things. Politics I don’t like.
What would you do if you were not a drummer?
Probably a comedian. In school everybody told me I had something funny to say. I was into fashion designing too.
If you could mix 3 people to make an ideal human being, who would you choose? Definitely, Harpo Marx, he seldom spoke but there was some- thing angelic about him; someone great like John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King a mix of both. And, one of my fa- vorite musicians, Stevie Wonder.
What was your most important professional moment?
The Hall of Fame was important. Also, seeing my grandson in Virginia when my daughter surprised me for my birthday; she called and told me she was at the mall and couldn’t talk, she was actually on the plane. Then, my wife at the time told me to go out to help her get the groceries out of the car and there she was, my daughter and grandson.
Do you fly or walk?
In between. You have to fly to dream and then walk to achieve it. That’s what keeps me going. It keeps me young too.
Alone or accompanied?
I’m a loner.
Complete the following words: Life is: being healthy with sound mind, body and spirit. Life is peace. Power is: being able to do what you want to do. Art: Miles Davis. Money: is Power. Sex: Females. Your body: A secret. Your Life: Crazy.
What tip would you give others who want to make it in the music business? Be focused, give 100%, and stay with it. Hang in there. I never did anything else.
Would you like to play drums the rest of your life? Out of everything I do: production, writing, tools, drums... yes, I know I can.
What are you the best at?
Drumming.



If you saw God what would you say to him? Thank you for blessing me with talent and keeping me healthy.
What is the secret for looking so young?
I don’t drink; rum and coke sometimes but not often. In the house I move around. I can’t sit for long. I started music at a young age, which is what keeps you in another frame of mind.
Music recommendations from a super funky guy: Led Zeppelin, Parliament, Funkadelic, anything by Miles Davis and Public Enemy.
If there was a perfect stereotype for you, what would you be?
Cool Guy.
If you could ask all the people in the world to do one thing at the same time, what would it be? Impeach Bush (laughter)...
From your perspective, how is the influence of funk in today’s music?
The whole hip-hop thing came from what we were doing. It opened a genera- tion. It started catching on. They all have Parliament, Funkadelic records. The whole music scene has a legacy thanks to us, P-Funk generation, Sly, James Brown, etc. The funk we did came from the vibe, from different cities.
How is this movement going to evolve in future generations, meaning the funky groove? I just know that hip hop will be around for a while, with more jazzy tracks probably. I don’t know if there is anything new to do, it all comes back in a cir- cle, people recycle tracks with a new twist. I can’t think of anything new. Most sounds will come back again.
What do you listen to now?
Kanye West, Wyclef, Led Zeppelin, some Ethiopian singers, Chris Isaacs, all kinds of stuff, I like to stay open.
Describe the funk:
Funk is about the feeling of who’s playing. Doing funk is really simple. It’s about the thrill of the time. Funk is from within. Like I said, it’s about what you feel. I’ve done shows with Parliament where I was so funky I could feel it inside my bones and that’s when the audience can feel it too.