10.6.10

LAYER AFTER LAYER OF FOOD SUCCESS: CHEF EMERIL


By Alfonso Corona and Isa Travieso Burger
Photographs by Alfonso Corona

Emeril is famous for his TV catch phrase, “BAM!” and that’s exactly how we felt dur- ing our interview with him. He is a charm- ing man who clearly speaks from the heart, has an enthusiasm the size of Texas and is inspired by the sea; maybe that’s why he opened Emeril in Miami Beach. His glory began in New Orleans in the beginning of the 90’s as he delighted palates with his Cajun and Creole flavors. Then, he became an international celebrity with his TV show, ‘The Essence of Emeril’. From then on he has been busy focusing on his career and his family and captivating the belly of every individual who has tried any of his original, multifaceted creations inside the kitchen, his sanctuary. He says he dreams about food, we dream about his food too. Emeril made us feel very special as he indulged us into a real flavorful sensation by letting us try some out-of-the-ordinary shrimp invention, rosemary crackers and a banana cream pie that was out of this world.



To top it off he concluded by saying, “I haven’t done this for anyone, this is what I think your magazine is like, it’s full of layers, colorful, black and white, humorous, seriously great.” Chef, thanks for your kind words!

How do you see Miami?
Miami has just turned into this unbeliev- able community, unbelievable scene; what makes it unbelievable is the melt- ing pot of cultures that have moved here. We are thrilled and delighted to be here in the Loews Hotel, and enjoying the festival. I’m amazed on how big this is gotten; talent from all over the world is present. And you know, it’s turning out to be bigger than Aspen.
i saw your show and the way you handle everything is very genuine. What makes it successful is that there is no pretension, it’s just me expressing myself through food, trying to reach one person, making them feel better about cooking, shopping, wine. For me is a great thing and I have a lot of fun do- ing it.



Where were you born?
In a little town called Fall River, a Portuguese com- munity in Massachusetts. My mom is Portuguese my dad is French Canadian. Mom ruled the house so we were raised Portuguese.

Did you study?
As a young boy, I had a love for music and so I start- ed playing music at about six years old. I played in different types of bands; when I was 10 or 11 this thing about food really excited me. So I approached this man who owned the Portuguese bakery, and he gave me a job washing pots and pans after school for $1 an hour. I did it for a couple of years as the older Portuguese men grew fond of me and began teaching me how to make stuff like bread and cook- ies, etc. When I was 14 I started working from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM baking with the men, then went to school, then home to sleep, and I did it a few nights a week. It was an incredible experience not only for my discipline but also for work ethics.
It was an incredible foundation for me. Pastry is different from cooking, you have to use formulas, cooking you work with recipes, add more cilantro and tarragon, but you can’t add more formula, it won’t work.

In your personal vision, how do you describe what you do?
I’m on a mission from God to teach as many people about food, dining, wine, ingredients and shopping, and I think that’s why I’m here with my foundation and other facets of my business. I de- cided to break out a little from the whole cook- ware, food products; I decided to diversify 8 years ago. I’m glad I did, when you have such a dramat- ic tragedy like Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans it makes you aware. I have 3 restaurants there; my backbone is the restaurant so I try to make people smile a little more when they eat or smell something. We love to cook. We want to make people happy.

What has been a decisive moment in your life?
Each time a child of mine is born, I have 4. Also, being recognized and honored by my peers, I’m proud of that, it says something. Also, receiving two awards as a wine connoisseur. I never won an Emmy though; I was nominated 6 times and haven’t felt what that is like.

What’s your favorite dish?
I like real food I don’t eat crazy stuff. I absolutely get inspired by the weather, being 50-feet away from the ocean inspires me to bring it here, to the plate. My foundation is Creole and Cajun from Louisiana, in Miami the palate is wonderful, the South American, tropical stuff, the ocean, it’s like being in a toy store.

Is there a specific dish that you crave?
Noodles, I love doing stuff with Pasta.

What have you accomplished?
Being able to survive in this business. To be here for16yearsisveryhardtodo.WeareinNewOr- leans, Miami, Orlando, Las Vegas, Atlanta; it’s a huge challenge to keep all those hats in place. We can, because of great people; my people say it all. Positive energy is always projected in the dishes, in our wine programs, in the people representing all of us, in the level of service, in the excitement.

Do you have time to read a book?
I’m finishing Adrian’s (from Spain) cookbook. I read mostly about the world, and about people and food. Food is my life, I sleep it, dream it, drink it; It’s all about food, all about what’s for dinner tonight.

Any group of persons you like to cook for?
It’s exciting to get young people thinking about food. When I was 10, I didn’t know what a shiitake mushroom was, now most 10 year old do. En- couraging family time is the best choice, it’s more cooking, spiritual time, sharing, eating.

10 years from now, I assume you want to be cooking, am I right? WhenIhaveadayoff,Icook.Ilovetofish.Ilikethewater too it inspires me.

Say what you feel about these words:

Love is: All about family, when it’s all said and done, it’s all about family, if you are united, it’s what matters.
Life is: Interesting bowl of cherries out there. It’s something that, personally, I don’t take for granted. I’m glad to be alive. I’m saving a little bit for tomorrow but who knows if I will be here tomorrow.
Money: Just money.
Power: I think that you want to treat people the way you want to be treated, so keep it in perspective. Food: You are what you eat. I think you have to be smart about it. I’m not a fast food person, that doesn’t mean I don’t eat hamburgers; moderation is important. If you eat pork chop everyday you’ll look like one someday.

What do you dream of?
Mostly food and food that I want to create.